Date: circa 1785
History: Colonel John Simpson built his two-and-one-half story manor home and named it after his native Belfast, Ireland. The structure was home to many famous members of the Simpson family, which included US and State senators and representatives, a signer of the Ordinance of Secession, a Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court, and a SC Governor. In its early history, Belfast housed the only post office between Newberry and Laurens. One of the best preserved historic sites in Laurens County, today Belfast House is owned by Champion International Corporation and used as a hunting lodge and recreational retreat.
Location: Travel south on Hwy. 56. Belfast House is on the right, just before crossing the Laurens/Newberry county line.